Makeup for yoga class?
Confession: I like to wear it for school pick-up, date nights, spinning, and yes – yoga classes. I’ve always loved makeup and skincare; so much so that I worked at a beauty counter for a few months between college and law school, just because I REALLY wanted a discount on insanely priced serums and shadows. And that love did NOT disappear when I started OMing from the front of a room full of yogis (i.e. I did not get as hippie-afied as my friends from growing up assumed I might).
Now where am I going with this?
The picture below should pretty much spell that out for you. By the end of most classes, especially hot yoga classes, I.m legit known for looking like an extra from an episode of CSI.
After years of wiping the dredges of my mascara off on my tanks, tees, and yogi toes towels (and ruining them in the process), I decided I deserved/wanted/needed/absolutely had to try eyelash extensions. The words “namaste” and “fake eyelashes” don’t usually go hand-in-hand, but I was wholly convinced that extensions would be the perfect accessory for my active lifestyle.
Why? Well, I’m glad you asked. Here are my top three reasons:
- NovaLash extensions are waterproof, sweat-proof and last indefinitely with proper care.
- Extensions would save me ten minutes every morning. No eyeliner to apply, no mascara to wipe on and de-clump.
- I would be lying if I said I don’t like looking “finished” and a little bit fancy. And it would be double awesome to be able to go to the store after class and not feel gross.
I chose Hot Mess because of how unpretentious it is, despite being the inherently luxe home for a team of artists with incredible talent. Hot Mess is bursting with creativity, and it’s a safe space for getting experimental when you want to look hot BUT you feel like a mess (their tagline). I felt like I could get eyelash extensions, chop a few inches off my hair, indulge in a pedicure, shop for a new wardrobe at their in-house boutique, and make 3 or 4 new best friends in the process.
And I just might do all of that when I go back for my eyelash fill in a few weeks.
Because believe me, I am OBSESSED with my lashes right now.
So here are the details:
- NovaLash was founded in 2004 by Sophy Merszei, a biologist and cosmetic chemist who worked with a team of physicians and scientists to create the safest possible eyelash extension and adhesive products. Their Platinum Bond Adhesive and LashLiner have received awards for quality and safety, and due to this commitment to quality, NovaLash became the first global distributer of eyelash extensions. Consumers can feel confident that when they use NovaLash products, they’re paying for cosmetics backed by extensive scientific research.
- The first full set costs between $200 and $300. Monthly fills cost $50 and up, depending on how long you wait to get the fill.
- The appointment took 2 hours. I arrived with absolutely no makeup on (and left looking like I was wearing some – score!). The application process, for me, was a breeze – simple and painless. I took a nap for the first 57 minutes and chatted for the rest about everything from teaching yoga and eyelash application to AP hot spots and dating apps.
- When Chelsea handed me a mirror to check out the finished product, I almost “wooooooooo-ed” at my own reflection. The lashes looked long, curled, beautiful…and natural. I loved my look (not something I say everyday) and I didn’t have a swipe, stitch, shade, or drop of makeup on.
- And now I want to hang out with Chelsea on the regular, so clearly I won’t be missing a fill-in appointment – ever.
I would absolutely recommend NovaLash extensions to anyone looking for an athluxe look with little to no effort on a daily basis. if you’ve been considering it for awhile (like me), take the plunge for fall.
But prepared to spend a lot more time staring at yourself in the studio mirrors. It’s kind of impossible not to…
Never Miss a Post!
The Top Three Reasons for Joining NJYC
The greatest teachers, studios, classes and communities are in the Garden State.
You are ready to inspire and be inspired.
You believe in living a life you love, supported by a practice that makes you feel amazing