Dry January, aka ditching alcohol in the first month of the new year, is an annual tradition that we are undoubtedly a fan of. While we aren’t fierce advocates of doing yoga = no alcohol, we absolutely believe that a healthy break from something that ISN’T very healthy at all just cannot be a bad thing.
So YES! Ditch the wine, beer, and fancy cocktails for the next four weeks. Vino & Vinyasa, Bends & Brews, and Gin & Yin will be there for you in February – we promise.
But maybe the booze break can be a catalyst for something MORE.
Perhaps 2019 is the year you go for one, two, or even three positive shifts, with an easy “I’m doing it for January” time period attached to them.
Here is what we are thinking:
- Meditate for 5 minutes every day.
- Juice celery and drink it every morning on an empty stomach. If you are baffled by this one, start following the Medical Medium. He will have you clearing out the celery shelves at your local grocery store by tomorrow morning.
- Offer up 5 sun salutations when you wake up.
- Make one meaningful phone call each day to catch up with someone you wish was more present in your life.
- Shop small businesses only.
- Read 5 pages of a book that inspires you before you turn the lights out each night. Our choice? Danielle LaPorte’s White Hot Truth.
- Get in 12 hugs per day. There is a saying by Virginia Satir, a respected family therapist, “We need four hugs a day for survival. We need eight hugs a day for maintenance. We need twelve hugs a day for growth.”
- Breathe like the ocean while you drive, wait on line, or ride in the elevator. Ujjayi breath encourages full expansion of the lungs, and, by focusing your attention on your breath, it can assist in calming the mind.
- Sleep.Take a no-guilt nap on the weekends and slide between the sheets 30 minutes earlier during the week.
- Go full-on vegan for at least one meal each day. Or, if you are feeling supremely inspired, say YES to Veganuary.Veganuary is a charity inspiring people to try vegan for January and throughout the rest of the year. Check out their webpage to sign up – or to snag awesome vegan recipes.
2019 – we are HERE. Let’s make magic.
Never Miss a Post!
The Top Three Reasons for Joining NJYC
The greatest teachers, studios, classes and communities are in the Garden State.
You are ready to inspire and be inspired.
You believe in living a life you love, supported by a practice that makes you feel amazing